Lesson thirteen: using the Ford or Fiat motorhome engine

This article covers both the ford and fiat motorhome engine and what you need to know about how they operate.

Notes on your engine 

  • Ensure you read your truck manual and follow your service requirements. 
  • You are welcome to check your oil and top up your window washer liquid but do not top-up anything else as this will be taken care of at your yearly service.
  • If you cannot locate your battery under the bonnet, you will see a specific place to jump-start from (refer to the manual).
  • Your truck battery is either located under your driver's seat or under the floor on the passenger side.
  • It is important to start the engine or take your motorhome for a drive at least every 3 weeks if you are not using it, so your truck battery does not go flat. 
  • Speed Limit:

    •  WOF= 100km

    • COF = 90kms


  • Comes with a three-year engine warranty and should be serviced yearly at your local Ford dealer.
  • You will notice on all the wheels trims that one of the wheel nuts needs a lock nut. You will find this in your glovebox in a plastic bag, ensure it is kept with the motorhome at all times and in a safe place.
  • It's also a good idea to take a photo or keep a note of the key colour and key number which you will find inside the bag. Then if you accidentally lose it, it will be easier for Ford to order a replacement.
  • To access your diesel and ad blue inlets, you will find these on the left side, and you need to open the passenger door to open the flap. No keys are required to open the cap.



To open the bonnet:

  • Use the truck key in front of the bonnet.
  • Turn the key to the left to pop the bonnet and to the right to release.

Using the towing tool :


  • Comes with a two-year warranty and should be serviced yearly at your local Fiat dealer.
  • To open the bonnet: there is a lever on the inside of the passenger door.
  • To access your diesel and ad blue inlets you will find these on the left side. Open the flap and use your truck key to open the cap.
After a week of taking ownership of your motorhome you will receive in the post a Certificate of Registration which is a one-page letter from NZTA. Please scan a copy to deborahm@traillite.co.nz. This document is needed to load the warranty with Fiat. 

Ad Blue 

Most imported vehicles coming into New Zealand now require Ad Blue. This is to stop diesel emissions and is a requirement, or the engine will stop running.

There is no dipstick to check the levels, but you will be told on your dash when it is running low. You will have plenty of km's notice so don't panic and just get it topped up at your next stop or when you get home.

Some petrol stations sell Ad Blue, or you can buy it from our TrailLite Service Centre.

Next Lesson

Click here to learn more about the habitation door in a Benimar motorhome